Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"Miss Carrie, will you marry me?"


Today was back to the old grind after a long (yet far too short) weekend. But just when I thought I didn't want to be back at work, one of my students goes and does something to make me smile.

Today, seven year old Cameron (the knight in shining armor pictured on the right) came up to me at the end of math and said, "Miss Carrie, I want to ask you something." I leaned down and he whispered in my ear "Will you marry me?" Which was followed by a big smile and a sparkle in his big blue eyes.

I laughed and said "Cameron, I think you're a little young for me...maybe in 10 years." Then I said, "well, let's see, how old are you?" He stood up straight and said, "I'll be 8 this year" (His birthday is not for another 9 months ;-) I said, "Well, I guess 10 years is too soon. How about 20? If you still want to marry me in 20 years, Cameron, you're on."

He smiled as he bounced away and said, "Great, I'll start planning the wedding rehearsal"..."and the cake"..."and the ring." I asked what kind of ring he would get. He then responded "I don't know, I probably won't even marry you...you're too old for me."
The whole conversation made me laugh and I remembered why I love working with kids so much.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie, that's adorable! I'm lost on what I wanna do. I keep toying with elementary teacher. That's the kind of thing that makes me think I would like it too! I miss you!

S&F Seminario said...

Carrie,
I miss you too and must see you soon and hear your laugh. I think you are any kid's DREAM teacher, especially a boy. You are sure to get at least a proposal a week.

molly pickett said...

CARRIE!!! Hey! I didn't know you had a blog!! I'm so happy to find you and see what you're up to! I miss our days of talking, and eating like your fun road trip!! Visit our blog at www.pickettsplace.blogspot.com

Keep in touch! Love ya!

Kara's Party Ideas said...

carrie! yes, i love the fact that you have a blog! and this post....one of a kind..how darling is that??!!!!!! we need to go to paraguay..random fyi!
~kara :)

Don said...

You're blogging!!! I love it!

Annie and Jake Callister said...

so cute. i bet you are such a fun teacher!

Annie

Anonymous said...

Carrie!! How are you?? I'd love to chat!! :) Hope you're doing well! :)

Nichols Family said...

Yeah! I had lost your blog site address for a couple weeks! But PHEW! I found it through your comment on Omi's!
Love and miss ya!